Director of Human Resources
Cullman, AL (HQ)
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for administering policies relating to all phases of human resources activity by performing the following duties:
- Maintains knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance.
- Oversees the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization.
- Consults legal counsel to ensure that policies comply with federal and state law.
- Recruits, interviews, tests, and selects employees to fill vacant positions.
- Analyzes wage and salary reports and data to determine competitive compensation plan.
- Prepares personnel forecast to project employment needs.
- Develops and maintains a human resources system that meets top management information needs.
- Plans and conducts new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward company goals.
- Keeps records of benefits plans participation such as insurance and pension plan, personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and employee statistics for government reporting.
- Maintains payroll information by designing systems; directing the collection, calculation, and entering of data.
- Updates payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job titles, and department/ division transfers.
- Pays employees by directing the production and issuance of paychecks or electronic transfers to bank accounts.
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Trains management in interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance review, disciplinary action and sexual harassment.
- Advises management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs.
- Administers performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within organization.
- Administers salary administration program to ensure compliance and equity within organization.
- Administers benefits programs such as life, health, dental and disability insurances, pension plans, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, and employee assistance.
- Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation, and conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Writes and delivers presentations to corporate officers or government officials regarding human resources policies and practices.
- Writes directives advising department managers of company policy regarding equal employment opportunities, compensation, and employee benefits.
- Adherence to company policies, including its attendance is essential.
Directly supervises 2-3 employees in the Human Resources Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A or B.S) from a four-year college or university
- Five to Seven years of related experience and/or training
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Knowledge of Microsoft Access Database software; Microsoft Great Plains Human Resource systems; Internet Explorer Internet software; Microsoft Great Plains Payroll systems; Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word /Word Processing software
- Occasional travel required
- Required to work over 40 hours per week, including occasional nights and weekends required.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Salary dependent upon experience. BCBS medical/pharmacy plan, 401k, Disability, Life/AD&D, Dental/Vision plans, Paid Vacation, and more.
Rusken Packaging is a manufacturer of corrugated boxes, covering the Southeast U.S. Operating from facilities in Cullman, AL, Heflin, AL, Luverne, AL, Jackson, TN, Clarksville, TN, Knoxville, TN, Charlotte, NC, Cowpens, SC, Atlanta, GA, Conyers, GA, Harrisburg, AR, New Orleans, LA, Jackson, MS and Tupelo, MS, Rusken is one of the largest independent corrugated manufacturers in North America. For over 40 years, our vision has been to provide our customers with the very best quality, value and service in the industry, doing business with people you trust.